The Missing Voices? Disability Inclusion in the Africa Climate Summit 2023

Mildred stands by a banner 

The first ever Africa Climate Summit is ongoing in Nairobi, Kenya and indeed an opportune moment to also consider what the disability space is within this hugely important summit.

“Accessibility, accreditation and issuance of badges were major barriers for participation of persons with disabilities in the Summit,”  said Mildred Omino who thankfully managed to access the event and attended a side event on Women and Girls leading Climate  Action (albeit late because of accessibility challenges!).

“I had received my invitation letter and I knew everything was set for me to attend the event,” said Elizabeth Ombati. “But when I  went to pick my badge, somehow they couldn’t print it for me. The  person sitting behind the computer told me that my application  had not been approved, and that is how I lost my chance to attend  the Summit in person.”

Two other colleagues from the Network, with badges, did not attend the Summit due to fears they could be turned away. Two others from Mombasa and Kakamega counties could not travel to Nairobi for the Summit as we could not receive any funding to support their movement and accommodation.These logistical issues may have affected many other delegates and it is important that they are called out, maybe another time, things would be better, and more of us would participate in these important summits and have our voices and opinions also going on record.

“I am glad that speakers in the side event I attended made a clarion call for the representation of women and girls in climate action. The importance of women in leadership positions, indeed, is key in influencing gender-responsive climate action".

What did you think about the general participation of persons with disabilities in the Summit, if the first day is anything to go by? This is a difficult question posed to Mildred.

“I would say disappointing!” says Mildred, “but I am happy if someone proves me wrong.” She elaborates more, “I am unsure many side events had sign language interpreters” For example, at least the one I attended did not!”

Many other things. At the point of registration, Mildred explained that the steep steps she had to take to reach the registration desk were arduous and the long distance between the passenger drop-off zone to the Summit venue was a nightmare. Elizabeth on the other hand would speak about the immense anxiety she had to contend with as she could not access her badge yet she had made all prior arrangements to get it. 

Mildred shares her concerns on the risks and dangers of excluding persons with disabilities from important events such as this Summit due to intentional or unintentional reasons.

"The climate crisis is a global crisis and women and girls with disabilities are disproportionately affected. We can’t keep on missing in these critical conversations and have our entry point as merely ‘vulnerable populations".

Issues

Gaps exist between policy and practice on climate action in terms of the participation of women with disabilities in both the development and implementation of strategic interventions on climate change and adaptation measures. This gap must be bridged urgently to ensure that women with disabilities are cushioned from the adverse effects of climate change and that they are taking leading roles in mitigating climate change and fostering climate adaptation measures. Recognizing the critical role of women in the management of natural resources, we must strive to realize climate action that is inclusive of women with disabilities.

The Network recently submitted an alternative report to the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR) pre-sessional working group in March 2023 citing climate change as one of the threats to the economic social, and cultural rights of women with disabilities. 

Disaster and risk management is more often disability leaving out women with disabilities in humanitarian aid that enables the provision of essential supplies in affected areas. Water crisis, coupled with food insecurity and loss of livelihood all have negative health outcomes for women with disabilities majority of whom live with existing health conditions. The inexistence of disability data also remains a huge problem that needs to be addressed, because where this is lacking, especially in how women and girls with disabilities are affected by climate change, relevant plans will not be put in place to mitigate risks.

Excerpts from Women with Disabilities In Northern Nomadic Communities in Kenya

“I have never seen a drought like this. We could not find water to drink. I remember one day I drank dirty water because I was so thirsty. I almost died from stomach ache. Taking a shower became a luxury for me. People would go so far to look for water but my disability could not allow me to go that far.”

“I had a few cows and goats it has been now three years since we received good rains.  We are experiencing the worst drought ever. I lost all my cows due to the long period of drought. Other people tried to keep their cattle alive by buying them maize. I couldn’t do so because I barely afford it for myself and my family consumption. I was lucky though my goat survived till the rains came. The rains which were to be a blessing came with a lot of force and swept all my goats down the river. I had received this livestock from the well-wishers. “

“I did not have an opportunity to get an education. I have been depending on family. My family had some camels, goats, and cows. We started losing the cows first then the goats. Early this year, we started losing some of our camels. They say the camels are the most resilient animals. Then you know how serious the situation is. I feel like a burden because I can’t help my family in any way. “

As we seek solutions to many of the challenges resulting because of climate change, women and girls with disabilities, and all persons with disabilities must be supported, in an organized way, in a strong voice, to raise these concerns. In the absence of this, and even as the world talks about the UN Climate Change Conference COP 28, the disability community will continue calling out for solutions from the fringes. This should not happen in this era, when we all, in our diversities, must be present at the decision-making table.

Compiled by Mildred Omino and Elizabeth Ombati

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My JOURNEY:WOMEN WITH DISABILITY IN LEADERSHIP

16 Days of Activism: Women with Disabilities against Gender Based Violence